AS Evaluation Question 5 DRAFT
Posted by Martyn Hollinshead | Labels: Evaluation DRAFTS | Posted On Thursday, 29 March 2012 at 01:22
How did you
attract/address your audience?
To attract my target audience I looked at making sure that
the genre was conveyed in the appropriate way so that it would appeal to the
reader as well as meet the assumed criteria. Looking at the majority gender of
the audience, namely males, I decided to use typography that would be easily
associated with them. Rather than use curly, wavy or ‘pop-art’ fonts that are
stereotypically seen as ‘girly’ I used bold, distorted and worn fonts that would
suit not just the target gender but also the genre of the magazine.
Another aspect of my magazine that I developed to attract and address my audience was the content of my magazine. The articles and sections that were featured relate to the lifestyle I assumed my audience have; I have included an ‘Online’ section for example that I believe would appeal to the target age range of 18-28, as this age are actively using the internet and so a website/blog might interest them. Furthermore, as technology advances and influences the way in which we view our media, magazines could become obsolete to webpages, as the costs of running a website are presumably less than that of printing publications. So by attracting the audience to the magazine’s website, in a way this creates a ‘future-proof’ base for the brand to continue were magazines to fall out of public interest.
Another aspect of my magazine that I developed to attract and address my audience was the content of my magazine. The articles and sections that were featured relate to the lifestyle I assumed my audience have; I have included an ‘Online’ section for example that I believe would appeal to the target age range of 18-28, as this age are actively using the internet and so a website/blog might interest them. Furthermore, as technology advances and influences the way in which we view our media, magazines could become obsolete to webpages, as the costs of running a website are presumably less than that of printing publications. So by attracting the audience to the magazine’s website, in a way this creates a ‘future-proof’ base for the brand to continue were magazines to fall out of public interest.
To expand on the relevancy of the articles, I assumed that my
audience would have a fairly strong interest in music, with the majority (approximately
75%) regularly attending gigs and events. I therefore included two concert
reviews and a guide to the best upcoming gigs of this year, titled
“Instrumental! Gig Guide 2012”. Based on
my assumptions, the audience would find this particularly interesting and
informative as it would allow them to plan their year of events by looking at
what is recommended and thus worth the price. To help attract attention to this
section I formatted the listing on the contents page by placing it on an orange
box; this colour contrasted powerfully with the grey background and fitted in
with the colour palette for a professional, consistent look. The text in the
box was enlarged, coloured white and finished with a rough typeface, giving it
a ‘feature’ feel that has greater importance than the other content listed. In combination with the subject matter, this
‘gig guide’ is a strong feature of the contents page that grabs the reader’s
attention with its design and draws them into reading on with its appealing details.

Post a Comment